Monique’s Citrus Turkey Brine
- Prep Time 1 hour
- Cook Time 3 hours - 3 hours 45 minutes
Ingredients 12 servings
12-14lb. turkey, thawed
1 (24 oz) bottle Wish-Bone Italian Dressing
13 cups chicken broth, warm
½ cup kosher salt
½ cup brown sugar packed
2 oranges, sliced
2 lemons, sliced
2 limes, sliced
1 small white onion, sliced
½ cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
zest of 1 small orange
zest of 1 small lemon
zest of 1 small lime
1 orange, sliced
1 lime, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, sliced
- In a large bowl combine Wishbone Italian Dressing, chicken broth, salt and brown sugar.
- Stir until salt and sugar dissolves.
- Add in sliced oranges, lemon, limes and onion.
- Line a bowl large enough to hold the turkey with a roasting bag.
- Place the turkey into the bag.
- Pour on the brine.
- Gather the bag tightly, pressing out excess air and allowing the brine to completely cover the turkey.
- Twist and tie the bag.
- Refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight.
- Pour off and discard excess brine.
- Rinse turkey thoroughly with cool water.
- Use paper towels to dry turkey off completely.
- Place turkey in a roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine citrus butter ingredients in a small bowl.
- Brush turkey generously with butter, being sure to get under the skin and in the cavity as well.
- Stuff turkey with aromatics.
- Place turkey in oven and bake for 3 to 3 3/4 hours or until thigh temperature reaches 180 degrees F. Check turkey occasionally during the last hour to prevent overcooking.
- Cover turkey with foil during the last 45 minutes of roasting or when you are content with the browning.
- Let turkey rest for 15-30 minutes before carving.
Monique hosts a YouTube channel called Divas Can Cook. Divas Can Cook features easy, tried and true recipes for the modern super woman.