Catherine’s Maple Brined Turkey
- Prep Time 5-10 minutes
- Cook Time 3 hours
Ingredients Makes 10-12 Servings
2 bottles Wish-Bone Italian Dressing
32 ounces chicken stock
1 onion, quartered
3 star anise
1 12-14 pound turkey (defrosted)
1 – 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a large turkey bag and stir to combine.
- Wash the turkey inside and out (putting aside the neck and liver to make gravy) and place breast side down in the stockpot with the brine.
- Place the turkey into the bag making sure the turkey is completely covered with brine.
- Refrigerate 18 hours to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Take the turkey out of the brine, place on a roasting rack inside a wide low pan and blot the turkey with a paper towel to dry.
- Tuck back the wings (or cover with small pieces of foil) and rub the skin of the turkey with the oil.
- Roast on the lowest rack of the oven for 30 minutes and then place a piece of foil just over the breast of the turkey to cover (the breast cooks faster then the legs and wings so this process helps it to cook more evenly).
- Pour 1 cup of water in the pan, reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue to roast 1 hour.
- Remove the foil from the breast, turn the pan so the other side of the breast is towards the back of the oven (most oven’s heat comes from the back, so turning it prevents overcooking) and cook for another hour to 90 minutes. Insert a meat thermometer into the deepest part of the thigh (avoiding the bone) until you reach a temperature of 160-165 degrees. The turkey will actually continue to cook a bit more even after you take it out of the oven (the total cooking time in the oven will be 2 1/2-3 hours total).
- Let the turkey rest for 20-30 minutes (this is an essential step to allow the juices to redistribute and settle).
Catherine McCord hosts a YouTube channel called Weelicious. Weelicious provides fast, easy and fresh homemade, kid-friendly recipes that focus on educating kids and involving them in the cooking process.