Beth’s Mediterranean Inspired Turkey Brine
- Prep Time 45 minutes
- Cook Time 2 hours 45 minutes
Ingredients 8 servings
(1) 12-lb Whole Turkey
2 Bottles Wish-Bone Robusto Italian Dressing
6 Cups Chicken Broth
The Peel of 1 lemon
6 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
4 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 tsp lemon zest
1 garlic clove, minced
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
4 cups chicken broth
½ cup Marsala Wine or ½ cup regular white wine
1 tsp whole peppercorns
turkey neck (comes with whole turkey)
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Rinse turkey and remove the giblets. Save the neck in a plastic bag and refrigerate. You will need it for the pan gravy.
- Place a large brining bag in the base of your roasting pan. Combine the dressing, chicken broth, lemon peel and rosemary. Place your rinsed turkey inside. Seal bag and place in the fridge overnight. At least 12 hours.
- Then when it comes time to roast, remove the turkey from the brine. Pat the turkey dry, and discard the brine. Place the turkey in the roasting pan.
- Prepare the rosemary butter, by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl. Then rub the butter under the skin of the turkey breasts and all over the exterior of the turkey. Sprinkle the top of the turkey with freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- Tie the turkey legs together with butcher’s string. To the bottom of the pan, add 4 cups of chicken broth, ½ cup of marsala wine, 2 bay leaves, peppercorns and turkey neck.
- Tent turkey loosely with foil and roast covered for 1 hour 45 mins.
- Then remove foil, and begin basting the turkey, with the pan juices, every 15 mins. Roast for 1 more hour. This will help the turkey brown.
- Turkey is done when it reaches 165 degrees in the thickest part of the thigh and breast.
- Allow to rest for 20 mins before carving, to retain the turkey’s juices.
- Strain the pan gravy through a fine mesh strainer into a sauce pan. Add 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary. Simmer for 10 mins to infuse the rosemary flavor into the gravy and to reduce the gravy by 1/3. Strain out rosemary and discard. Place gravy through a fat separator and transfer to a gravy boat. Serve the pan gravy with the carved turkey.
Beth Le Manach hosts a YouTube channel called Entertaining with Beth. She believes food tastes better when shared, and her channel features simple solutions for elegant entertaining.